The Cekin Mansion is situated in the green surroundings of Tivoli Park, near Celovška road, and is thus an ideal solution for those of you who are looking for a beautiful, intimate and peaceful place to host your event. The baroque mansion was constructed in 1752 by Count Leopold Karl Lamberg. After several decades, the mansion was inherited by Ivana Lamberg. The mansion is named after her husband, Laurenz Szőgyény, whose name was Slovenized by the townspeople into Cekin. The mansion is now a cultural monument of national significance and houses the National Museum of Contemporary History.
History Of The Museum
The forerunner of the National Museum of Contemporary History was the Scientific Institute, which was founded in January 1944 by the Executive Committee of the Liberation Front. On 7 February 1948, after the Scientific Institute was liquidated, the government of the People’s Republic of Slovenia established the National Liberation Museum. In autumn 1951, the museum moved to the Cekin Mansion, hired additional staff and opened its first permanent exhibition in 1955.
In the late 50s, the Museum temporarily lost its autonomy and became an organizational unit of the newly-founded Institute for the History of the Labour Movement. In 1962, the Museum of the People’s Revolution was established by a special decree. Initially the Museum’s collection policy was only oriented towards the period of World War II, but they soon also began collecting materials related to the period before 1941 and after 1945.
In 1998, the Museum was nominated for the European Museum of the Year Award for its permanent exhibition of “Slovenians in the 20th Century”. The Museum was renamed the National Museum of Contemporary History in 2003 as a logical result of the fact that it engages in the collection, preservation, study and exhibition of museum material related to the history of the 20th century.
In addition to its permanent exhibitions, the Museum has also organised several hundred temporary historical and art exhibitions on its own premises or travelling around Slovenia, the former Yugoslavia and, especially in recent times, around Europe. All exhibitions are complemented by catalogues, brochures, leaflets and other supporting material.